CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A few thoughts....

For those American Idol fans out there, I am pulling for Melinda Doolittle to win! I think there are several good singers this year, but she seems to be the strongest one. I know she has a strange look but she is my favorite. Plus, she seems so genuine. Who are your favorites?

In other serious matters, I know everyone is praying for the campus of Virgina Tech and the families that were affected there! How sad is it that there are individuals out there that are so depressed, alone, and angry that they not only want to commit suicide, but take out 32 other people with them? It is proof that not having Christ in your life is a very depressing life. I don't know how people get through the day when they do not believe in God. It is so sad! Now all of the gun control issues are being brought up again. Do people really believe that if they had given this man a 5 day waiting period that he wouldn't have committed this crime? He would have waited the 5 days and more than likely would have done the same thing or he would have used a bomb or something else to fulfill his agenda. The gun control lobbyist think that they can control crime but how can you really control someone that is sick enough to shoot 32 people without a shaking hand? Everyone that saw him said he was calm but determined. People always try to find something or someone to blame when things like this happen, but sometimes there is no way to prevent it from happening. I am not saying that the laws shouldn't make it a little more difficult to buy guns, but I don't think it is a magical solution.

Another serious matter that has been on my mind is the Mary Winkler trial. I have not been following everything that has happened in the trial, but I did hear a little on the local news yesterday. They said that the oldest daughter testified. What a terrible experience for this little girl! She had to see her dad after her mother shot him and now she has to testify at her mother's trial. I am just so sad that these little babies have to go through all of this! Please pray for them!

I normally do not like to post about sad stuff, but I just had to say something about these two things! Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I do think Melinda has a great voice, but she's not my favorite. Mine are now Blake and Jordin; however, Melinda, I think, ran with it last night. She was great!

The Winkler trial is awful. I have been following every detail. I can't even begin to imagine how Matthew's parent's are handling this? You know they have forgiven her, but still. It's just awful and I really hope she doesn't walk, much less get custody of those girls. Regardless, if they did have problems gave her no right to pull that triggor.

Anyways, off my soap box. Have a great day.

Kim said...

I've been watching a little of the trial on the live webcast. It's just brought me to tears several times. It amazes me that their only defense has nothing to do with her not committing the crime, it's that she had reason to do so. I can't imagine the impact this will have on those children, especially the older one who was called to testify. Anyway, I guess that's my soap box...we should all pray for this family. They need it.

Emily said...

Ok...
I like Blake, Jordan, and Melinda. Melinda is definitely the strongest singer, but she looks like she is 40. I know it's not her fault,but AI to me is someone younger and a little more hip. Jordan could be that strong one day because she is already pretty strong and Blake has a lot of talent and he is pretty interesting.

I got up this morning to iron Jared's clothes and one of those eary morning shows were on. They had the two boys that were the VA Tech killers' roommates on. Diane Sawyer really irked me when she asked those boys if they felt they could have changed something by trying harder to reach out to the freak. They said they had tried and they think now that he might would've tried to do something to hurt them sooner. Why do we feel so sorry for the killer and say poor killer, people should have been nicer to you. Why do we have to make the victims the scapegoat for a killer? There are no excuses! He's dead and so are his victims. Why point fingers? It's not going to change anything.
As for the Winkler case, again, we are trying to point fingers and give her an excuse to say that it is ok that she killed her husband, he deserved it. I mean really, her children don't want to be around her. That says it all!

Teale said...

I like Melinda, Jordin, and Blake... I think Blake is my favorite, because I love when he does his beat box thing... Jordin and Melinda did great last night though.

VA Tech... it's just so scary to think we live in a world where people don't care enough about their own life, much less the lives of innocent people. I don't really know all the details about what happened, but I think they should have cancelled classes on campus for the day after the first dorm incident. Maybe they tried and didn't have time, I don't know.

Mary Winkler... such a sad situation. My parents were on vacation at the beach around the time the murder/kidnapping took place. They stopped at a grocery store and were walking in to get some stuff and this van pulled into the parking lot and suddenly was surrounded by police. That was Mary and the kids. That is when she was arrested. It took my parents a while to realize who she was. I think she is seriously disturbed, but that is no reason that she shouldn't pay the penalty for her crime.

Rachel said...

Hmmm...AI...I haven't been watching it too much but from what I have scene, Melinda or Jordan are my favorites. I don't think any of them seem to be as strong as the contestants in the past.

I have been watching the Winkler trial some today on the live broadcast. It is almost embarrassing the way they bring up some of the issues (sexual and others). You have to give Matthew's family credit. Regardless of what has been said, they really have managed to look like good Christians and very classy.

The Virginia Tech story is horrible. As I mentioned on my blog, my cousin is a graduate student there but she is not on campus right now. It is absolutely horrible. She said that she had some friends and she was waiting to hear from them.

Why is it (both the Winkler case and Virginia Tech) that everyone starts to look to see if someone could have done something or could have helped that person. Why should the blame be placed on innocent people for not stopping the madness? I just don't get it.