CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers

Friday, January 2, 2009

The New Year

It is the year 2009! Who can believe it? It is true that as you get older time seems to move faster. I was looking back at my post from last year around this time and it is already hard to remember how small Hannah was at the time. She was speaking a few words here and there. Now she carries on conversations with anyone that will listen! She is getting so big and it is bitter sweet. I want her to grow older but I can't help not wanting her too all at the same time. All of you parents out there know what I mean. Last Friday we packed up the crib and Hannah is now sleeping in her full sized princess bed. She is doing great going to sleep and staying in her bed the whole night. She has never slept with us but I was afraid that once she was free from the crib she would make her way into our room. So far, so good! To get her to sleep, I have been trying the Super Nanny technique and it is working for us. We started last Saturday night. I get her ready for bed (pj's & a cup of milk) then I sit next to her. We read two stories and sing two songs. Then I kiss her goodnight and leave the room. If she gets up I say "It's time for bed" and put her back in bed. If she gets up again I say "No, bedtime." After that I just put her back in bed without saying anything until she goes to sleep. The first night she got out of bed 4 times & cried for a good hour. The second night she only got out of bed once and then cried on and off for about 30 minutes. The next night she never got out of bed and cried for 10 minutes. Last night she was asleep before I left the room. YEAH SUPER NANNY! I love rocking Hannah but it had turned into a 1-2 hour event to get this child to sleep. She is stubborn & I would get frustrated but now (keeping my fingers crossed that she will continue to do this good) it is so much easier. I don't feel like I am the worst mother in the world before I go to sleep. I need to post some pics of her in her bed soon but I haven't taken any yet.

Now on another subject, the crib. I didn't realize how hard taking the crib down and putting it away was going to be on me! While I was pregnant the plan was just to move Hannah into the computer room and leave the nursery as is. When it was time to take apart the crib I was okay but this week has been horrible for me. It is just another reminder that I am no longer pregnant & that the baby will not be here in June. It has been a tough week. I am glad that we are beginning a new year. Hopefully this year will bring a lot of happiness and healing!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I can't wait to see Hannah's big girl bed.

I hope you have a great 2009. You deserve it. You and Josh continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Granna said...

I have already decided that this is going to be a good year! I had thought that after the holidays were over that it might be hard for you, but remember that joy always comes in the morning. Emotions are hard to control and sometimes the things that trigger them are hard for others to understand- but God knows and He cares, and so do all of us. We love you, Katie and we are praying for you.

christy said...

She sure is getting big. I know exactly what you mean by time flying. Good luck this year and hope you guys have all the happiness your home can handle plus more.

Anonymous said...

I bet the bed is adorable! Happy New Year!!!!!!

Leah said...

What a big girl! We're about to move Marley too. I'm may have to try your supernanny trick, cause my kiddos are not good "going-to-bedders"!

I hope you have brigther days. It'll get alittle easier along.